What are the aluminum extrusion method and its steps?
Aluminum extrusion is a kind of method that applied to aluminum billets in order to give industrial shape. But also, the name of the product is derived from the process also called aluminum extrusion, or aluminum extrusion profile. So what is the aluminum extrusion method? What are the steps of the extrusion process? What are the advantages of aluminum extrusion profiles? As Bor Aluminum Company, today we will give useful information about one type of our products, aluminum extrusion.
Extrusion is an important method to procure the aluminum in the desired form. Aluminum extrusion profiles are densely preferred for industrial applications.
What is Aluminum Extrusion Method?
Actually, the extrusion method is a kind of reshaping process. Generally, aluminum billets are transformed into some kinds of profiles. Extrusion is to force something in a shaped hole that has been molded. It is the transformation of aluminum with a cross-sectional device.
The best way to explain extrusion is possible with an example. Extrusion is just like toothpaste coming out from a tube. When you squeeze the tube from the bottom, the paste comes out from it in the shape of the hole of the tube.
Aluminum extrusion is the method of producing aluminum profiles. Most of the aluminum products are made from these profiles. For example, the aluminum balustrade is extruded directly, but structural parts are made from different materials like aluminum U profiles.
Of course, there are some differences like pre-heating and forcing the aluminum material. But just like the example, pre-heated aluminum is forced through a tube-like device and transformed into the desired form. In this process, heating helps to reshape aluminum.
Steps of the Aluminum Extrusion Process?
So how do we achieve aluminum extrusion? Here are the steps of the aluminum extrusion process.
- First, we design the shape of the die, and then aluminum billets are heated to 350-500°C or 800-925°F.
- A type of lubricant is applied to the aluminum in order not to stick to the machine or handle or to the ram.
- The aluminum billet is transferred to the container.
- A high amount of pressure is applied to the aluminum with the ram, forcing the billet through the die.
- As the aluminum billet is thicker than the die, aluminum is crashed by the mold. During this process, liquid nitrogen is allowed to flow in the sections of the die in order to cool the material. Sometimes the gas form of nitrogen is also used.
- The heat of the material is measured instantly during the whole process. The aim of this measurement is to protect the maximum pressure. The final heat level changes according to the aluminum type. For example, the final heat level of 6063, 6063A, 6463, and 6101 should be at least 500°C.
- The extruded aluminum pass through a table in the shape of the opening of the die. Then the cooling period begins by using fans.
- The oxidized part of the material is extracted.
- After the cooling period, the extrusions are cut according to the required length with the help of the saw table.
- And finally, the extrusions are transferred to the heating ovens in order to harden them and provide aging.
What are the Types of Aluminum Extrusion?
The types of extrusions change according to the process.
- There are two types of extrusions according to the length of the material; Continuous (for very long aluminum billets), and semi-continuous (for different length of materials),
- According to the heat, there are two different methods; hot or cold (actually warm),
- One other division is about the cooling period, there are again two different types; air cooling and water cooling.
Aluminum extrusion is widely used in many kinds of industries. It is a very beneficial and popular material for designers and engineers. As Bor Aluminum, we are one of the aluminum billet manufacturers and aluminum extrusion company in Turkey with more than 30 years of experience. You can contact us for more information and assistance.
For more; boraluminyum.com/aluminium-profiles/